gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

RC Pitstop is located @ 5501 204th st Langley #125 come see us today !! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152155748145255.1073741828.208179670254&type=3

gfx gfx
gfx
95658 Posts in 10263 Topics by 1076 Members - Latest Member: slash31 November 19, 2017, 09:44:48 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
forums.rcpitstop.com  |  In The Pits  |  Nitro talk  |  I have an Idea and a question about a turbo/supercharger
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I have an Idea and a question about a turbo/supercharger  (Read 3169 times)

Offline dralgon

• RC Nutz
    • View Profile
I have an Idea and a question about a turbo/supercharger
« on: June 06, 2010, 03:10:07 PM »
How many of u have a turbo or supercharger on your nitros? I'v asked around and by the sound of it they dont seem to be very reliable via the o-ring drive belt and the fact that the fan has a little to much room in the cowling. And I have been playing around with the idea of an electric powered turbo fan. I have the conection thru family to get the plastic molding done (ADTel comm.) and even just puting a static fan blade into the intake should inprove performance. I have worked out some of the major details and wondering about some R&D feed back from all that have interest.The easyest question to answer was what to use a speed control, on a similar note any one have any old physical speed contols they don't need? Thank you DG
Go hard, Go broke, Go home and Fix'm
Ax-10super, Ax-10, Scx-10 2speed, losi Mrc, mini-t x3, 18B,M18MT,RS4-pro3,Sav X,NT Rustler, mini-z 2x4-4x4,mico-tBL,Stampeed,Revo BB,Revo 16th.
Fix'm good and Fix'm often

Offline Sharkey

• postaholic
    • View Profile
Re: I have an Idea and a question about a turbo/supercharger
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
it doesnt work on our model engines. the intake port in the crank is open when the transfer ports are closed, so the crankcase gets pressurized. the problem lies when the transfer ports opens open and exhaust port is also open, allowing the pressure to escape through the exhaust. this not only wastes fuel and causes parasitic loss (from driving the blower), it can also decrease the effectiveness of the tuned pipe. a tuned pipe is already like a supercharger, it pulls the air/fuel mixture from the crankcase, into the cylinder and even out the exhaust, however when the transfer ports close the exhaust port is still open and the reverberation forces the fuel mixture that got pulled into the exhaust back into the cylinder.

by design, forced induction cant work on our engines. a 2 stroke with an exhaust valve or port designs specifically for forced induction would be needed. that or a 4 stroke.

Offline vonclod

• Need's a life!
  • rc baller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:18:52 PM »
it doesnt work on our model engines. the intake port in the crank is open when the transfer ports are closed, so the crankcase gets pressurized. the problem lies when the transfer ports opens open and exhaust port is also open, allowing the pressure to escape through the exhaust. this not only wastes fuel and causes parasitic loss (from driving the blower), it can also decrease the effectiveness of the tuned pipe. a tuned pipe is already like a supercharger, it pulls the air/fuel mixture from the crankcase, into the cylinder and even out the exhaust, however when the transfer ports close the exhaust port is still open and the reverberation forces the fuel mixture that got pulled into the exhaust back into the cylinder.

by design, forced induction cant work on our engines. a 2 stroke with an exhaust valve or port designs specifically for forced induction would be needed. that or a 4 stroke.

a detroit diesel >:D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then to open it and remove all doubt

Offline Sharkey

• postaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:29:45 PM »
exactly. but we dont have detroit diesels in our r/c's now do we

Offline vonclod

• Need's a life!
  • rc baller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »
no sir we do not..time someone did one..lol..just general info, alot of people probably not aware that some 2 strokes do have some mechanical valvetrane..ie detroit diesel..some of them were turbo,d and supercharged >:D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then to open it and remove all doubt

Offline dralgon

• RC Nutz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
I really liked the answer that they dont work. But then why are people paying $400 for the one's out there that say bolt it but they still got too hack and slash too put them in? I talk to a 1stop guy, a hooked on guy. And I was almost going to get one befor that. I guess it would cause a bit of fuel blowby from the cylinder hu? Thanks
Ax-10super, Ax-10, Scx-10 2speed, losi Mrc, mini-t x3, 18B,M18MT,RS4-pro3,Sav X,NT Rustler, mini-z 2x4-4x4,mico-tBL,Stampeed,Revo BB,Revo 16th.

Offline Dr.Stupid

• RC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Need's a life!
  • stupid is as stupid does
    • View Profile
    • RC Pitstop
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »
I can tell you exactly why people pay 400.00 for them, but first let me tell you about Dr Stupid's Magic elixer!!! Have you got a head ache? a tooth ache? a back ache? or any other pain in your arse? Do you feel lack luster? unpopular? does the opposite sex look unatractive? Well try a little of Dr Stupid's Magic elixer!!!! I have never seen it fail, and all the towns I've been to previous to this one are raving about the affects of my Magic elixer!!!! Take a small one ounce shot glass taped to a spoon (cuz it's medicine yanno ::)) and drink it back! Take one every 15 mins for 3 hrs, I know for a fact that you will feel differnt and happy! The opposite sex looks now more attractive than ever before, your confidence will be untouchable! You feel no pain, you can do things you never thought you could (and maybe shouldn't >:D) Everyone will have something to say to you! (just ignore them they aint drinking what you are :-\) Now don't ya think ya wanna get some?!?!? :o :o :o ::)

Now after consuming one of my bottles of elixer we'll talk more about why you should by that supercharger.

Dr Stupids Magic Elixer contains 2% caster oil, 1% cherry syrup, 2% Buckley's mixture, and 95% wood grain alcohol
There are no stupid questions, only that which remains unknown.

Offline pipeous

• Just go outside already!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »
scary part is the elixer sounds tasty

Offline DVO

• Need's a life!
  • Did you see him clearly? Coulda been anybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:10:30 AM »
scary part is the elixer sounds tasty

I'll 2nd that one... Aside from the Buckleys and castor, that is...;)

Superchargers for these are useless... The "charged" air will just blow thru the exhaust port seeing it's open for about the same duration AND time as the intake...
T.W.P. 77 - Crawlin' slow since '06

GeckoII Clod
Axial/X-Trail Truck

Blade MCX2

ProBoat Mini-V
eFlite Mini-Mustang

Offline vonclod

• Need's a life!
  • rc baller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:44:42 PM »
heres a pretty interesting motor..it uses something called magnetic rotary valve intake..it might actually get some benefit from supercharging and its liquid cooled its 3.5cc italian job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecRuiU8jRZU

Offline Sharkey

• postaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »
all i see is something modifying the intake, i dont see any way of closing off the exhaust port while the transfer ports are still open. without somehow closing the exhaust port while the transfers are open a supercharger is pointless.

Offline dralgon

• RC Nutz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 10:20:09 AM »
now that alot of people r going to electrics (converisions etc..) Nitros will hit the next stage of their evoulution too stay in the game just like electric did when nitro was better. I hope fuel injection run off small lipo or magneto and valves. then turbo/chargers will be usefull.

Offline Sharkey

• postaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 05:25:20 PM »
i dont really see that happening. you wont see valves, its gets too complex and you end up with a lower max rpm range. magnetos wont happen, its not needed with the engine design. again, you wont get a mag thats able to work correctly at 40,000rpm. same with fuel injection, it gets too complex. and its not like nitro motors dont already make enough power as is.

imo nitro doesnt need an edge to beat electric. both have benifits to them, however people tend to go to electric because its simpler. id say the only r/c catagory were electric has a distinct performance advantage is monster trucks, but i havent figured out why you really need a monster truck to do 60mph and backflip on command.

forums.rcpitstop.com  |  In The Pits  |  Nitro talk  |  I have an Idea and a question about a turbo/supercharger

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines Page created in 0.078 seconds with 14 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx