gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

RC Pitstop is located @ 5501 204th st Langley #125 come see us today !!    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152155748145255.1073741828.208179670254&type=3

gfx gfx
gfx
95659 Posts in 10264 Topics by 1076 Members - Latest Member: slash31 November 22, 2017, 11:59:40 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
forums.rcpitstop.com  |  In The Pits  |  Friendly Giants  |  5ive t
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 5ive t  (Read 6373 times)

Offline rnst2

• Posts more than can be believed
    • View Profile
5ive t
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:45:29 PM »
2 channel is ok for this?
was thinking of putting da cost for 3ch tx towards taxes.
thanks.
5ive t is coming out very soon!!!

Offline Sharkey

• postaholic
    • View Profile
Re: 5ive t
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:07:40 PM »
id recommend at least a 3 channel radio, here is the reason. you need the 3rd channel for a kill switch. there are versions of the killer bee kill switch out there that operate on a 2 channel radio, however its better having it on a 3rd channel, it allows you to kill the motor and still maintain control of the car. im sure by now your wondering a little more about what a kill switch does and why you need one. its a device hooked to your 3rd channel that allows you to remotely shut the engine off. it will also shut the engine off in the case of a radio glitch, or if the battery in the car comes unhooked. with large scale vehicles at 30+ lbs, its needed, a nitro car failsafe just doesnt do the job.

now the reason i say minimum 3 channel is it leaves you open for independent control of front and rear brakes that are common upgrades on large scales. running 2 servos off 2 channels allows you to control brake bias from your radio, and takes a lot of the mechanical setup headaches away.

myself, id say have a look at the futaba 3pl or 4pl. the 3pl is a great radio, its a 3+1 channel, meaning you have full control over 3 channels (steering, throttle/brake and aux) and the 4th channel is there strictly for channel mixing. the radio has built in programming for large scale brake mixing as well as crawler rear steer, and customizable options. it also has all the standard features (epa, dual rate, digital trims, etc). its also a very good price, iirc its around $130.

Offline XtReMe98

• postaholic
  • BRRRAAAAAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 09:11:42 PM »
I'd echo what he said about having a 3rd chan... 

worth it.
Baja 5B 30.5cc, Tamiya TB-03, Eflite Edge 540qq, Blade 130x, Blade 180CFX, T-Rex 450 Skookum SK540, UMX Micro Beast (x2), UMX Habu, Eflite Nano CPx, Hubsan X4 FPV, GhettoBoat

Offline rnst2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:15:50 AM »
very insightful.
i do understand what killswitch does but no clue re: installation.
thanks.

Offline rnst2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:18:52 AM »
iirc?

Offline XtReMe98

• postaholic
  • BRRRAAAAAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »
very insightful.
i do understand what killswitch does but no clue re: installation.
thanks.

The best killswitches run off the 3rd channel.

When there's no power or you hit the 3rd channel they kill the motor. If you bind your recievers and set them to have the kill switch enabled as a failsafe then you'll have all bases covered.

the motor will shut off:
1. If you tell it to with the 3rd channel
2. if your radio dies
3. if your receiver battery dies
4. if you loose signal

that ONE time it saves your 1/5th scale it's paid itself off probably 3 times over at the minimum..

Baja 5B 30.5cc, Tamiya TB-03, Eflite Edge 540qq, Blade 130x, Blade 180CFX, T-Rex 450 Skookum SK540, UMX Micro Beast (x2), UMX Habu, Eflite Nano CPx, Hubsan X4 FPV, GhettoBoat

Offline rnst2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »
is this the same as failsafe? and where do we get this? and what's a good one?
thanks again.

Offline XtReMe98

• postaholic
  • BRRRAAAAAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 04:46:57 PM »
noooo.. It works in conjunction with a failsafe (which is pretty much built into any decent receiver these days..

killer rc makes a good killswitch. Make sure you order the right one.

some ars compatible with 2chan radios but they're more hassle then they're worth.  The 3 chan one works every time.

Offline Sharkey

• postaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 06:58:02 PM »
the only one i can recommend is the killer bee from killerrc.com, i had a different brand and it melted on me.

install isnt too hard, and depending on your skill level you can purchase different kits for install, from just the unit you plug in to the receiver (you need to run wires from the on engine killswitch to this) or a complete plug and play setup.

a killswitch is not the same as a failsafe. a nitro car failsafe will apply full brakes in the event of a radio glitch or losing signal from the transmitter. a failsafe will not work if the battery gets too low (although some do have a low voltage protection) or gets unhooked, or if a servo fails, linkage falls off, etc. a kill switch will shut you engine off in the event of a glitch, if you lose radio power, if your in receiver battery is too low or gets disconnected, or if you shut the car off via the 3rd channel switch. what a kill switch doesnt do is apply the brakes, in the event you lose your radio signal or the battery comes unhooked the engine will shut off, however the car will keep coasting in whatever direction the wheels are pointed. with the weight and speed of these cars they dont stop very quickly, this is where a failsafe comes in. most radios today have built in failsafes that in the event of a glitch or loss off communication will place the servos in their preset position. older radios, a nitro failsafe really isnt a bad idea, run both.

Offline rnst2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »
well, after a few reads re:5th scales, losi isn't that of great either.
maybe becoz it's new and 4wd. but there are quite a few brands that offer those and at decent price.
with these, i'm being led back to hpi 5t. ummm.....
what do you guys think? mcd is coming with an sc but not until later.
redcat, could be an option.
then some hpi 5t converted to nascar onroad.
now i see myself with loads of homework.
oh well. :(

Offline Sharkey

• postaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »
if you want something supported by any hobby shop, then its hpi or losi. mcd, redcat, fg, nutech, etc arent supported by local hobby shops, so you will have to shop online for parts. being this is losi's first 5th scale and its not released yet, its hard to say what it will be like. like any other car, it will have its weaknesses. if you want a good quality 5th scale, id cross redcat off your list. they arent bad if you are creative with them, but they do have some inherent flaws. the mcd is pretty decent, lots of guys like them, same with FG (im biased on fg stuff) , but local parts support is non existant.

Offline pipeous

• Just go outside already!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 11:40:21 PM »
The new redcat line looks decent and haven't heard many complaints. very light.

the new nutech is very nice too

hurrax seems to be flavour of the month high end but damned expensive

elcon cleon with air brakes is amazing high end (though it's 2wd)

mcd parts are the most expensive I have seen, nuff said

for about the same money as a losi you could get an fg leopard roller and have a pro kit.

4wd for offroad is the best IMO. I've owned a lot of different brands now, both 2wd and 4wd.

Offline rnst2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 10:00:34 AM »
making my homework a little lighter. thanks.
true with the lhs parts support.
i guess i'll wait for consumer reviews for the losi.
while i'll keep my eyes open for a good hpi 5t.
i'm not really looking at racing, but that can always be an option.
just plain track times is all i need.
hmmm, an fg leopard eh? i'll check.

Offline rnst2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 01:12:30 PM »
fg's onroad is very nice!
too far though and steep in $.

Offline rnst2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »

the new nutech is very nice too

and vancouver hobbies has them.
ummm. the 'stang in the site is quite impresive.

forums.rcpitstop.com  |  In The Pits  |  Friendly Giants  |  5ive t

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines Page created in 0.061 seconds with 14 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx