gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

RC Pitstop will be closed Sat. Nov11 for BC Remembrance Day. open again Tues Nov 14

gfx gfx
gfx
95658 Posts in 10263 Topics by 1076 Members - Latest Member: slash31 November 20, 2017, 07:09:39 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
forums.rcpitstop.com  |  In The Pits  |  Ask DR.Stupid  |  Major Servo Woes on a Losi 2.0 EU
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Major Servo Woes on a Losi 2.0 EU  (Read 567 times)

Offline 02topaz

• RC Newbie
    • View Profile
Major Servo Woes on a Losi 2.0 EU
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:42:48 PM »
Hey All,

My Setup...

Losi EU 2.0 Nitro
6.0 V lithium jump pack
Dx3c radio with SR301 receiver
Protek 100T servos

I've been running a Losi 2.0 EU nitro for the past year with really no significant issues. Recently both my steering servo followed by my throttle servo just all of a sudden stopped working. Complete electronic failure. Not during any aggressive jump, crash etc. Just at a standstill stopped working. Steering was a MKS DS1210 and the throttle a midrange savox. These ran great for months and months of bashing so I figured their life was up.

I thought nothing of it and replaced them both with Protek 100Ts. The steering is working well with no issues however I've blown three Protek 100Ts on the throttle within a tank of running. The EPAs are all set correctly with no binding whatsoever. After googling for hours it seems the Gen II tray could be the culprit with putting unnnecessary strain on the servos. It's just odd that my cheaper servos never had a problem and yet these do...

The simple answer seems to be these Protek 100Ts are garbage and I should just get a different servo. Just bothered that most ppl seem to run those with no issues and in fact they're the "best" servo I've owned price point and specs wise.

Another less likely answer is my receiver (Spektrum SR301) is shot and causing the servos to short out on the throttle. I opened it up and the board seems clean as can be. Could this be the issue?

Your guys help is very much appreciated. I'm tired of frying servos back to back and having a hell of a time diagnosing the problem.

Gurp

I've ordered a Gen III tray anyways but wondering whether anyone could shed light on
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 06:45:10 PM by 02topaz »

Offline 2_2

• Card caryin' RC lover
  • POSER
    • View Profile
Re: Major Servo Woes on a Losi 2.0 EU
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:05:03 AM »
3 possabilities

Servos- servos dont like vibration and can break down due to harmonic vibration a easy way to check is another reciever and a known good reciever or picking up a cheep 6$ servo tester (every hobbiest shouls have atleast 1) you could rule out your servos with this

Radio- Potentiometers in the radio  are known to stop working my DX6i out of the blue had a Pot fail, and the channel was no longer responding to inputs ( was not reading the input) The 6is caun check wat the input is by the access of the in radio monitor on the screen im not sure if the 3C has this.

Reciever- the reciever could be borked, if you have access to another known good reciever reciever, i would test that way. if a known good receiver does not work aswell and you have tested servos could be a fault in the radio, in the air module, not transmitting.

The battery you list is a 6v lithum pack, is this a rechargable pack? if so what is ful charge voltage? if this is a lithium pack and no voltage regulation such as a bec, you could be driving the servos with to high of voltage. driving to high of voltage would cause premature failure of 5-6v servos.
My Reality Check just bounced..

Offline 02topaz

• RC Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Major Servo Woes on a Losi 2.0 EU
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »
thanks so much for the informative reply!

I don't think it is the receiver as the good working servo works on both channels of my current receiver.

For the same reasons I think the radio should be good since the radio is able to transmit inputs to the good servo on both channels

The battery I incorrectly stated at Lithium is in fact a NiMH so should technically not be frying the servo? I unfortunately don't have a multimeter at my current place so haven't been able to test the battery but don't think it was a contributor. Either way I'm changing out the switch just in case somehow that is causing a short.

I think the best explanation thus far is

a) Badluck with a run of bad Protek Servos
vs
b) The way I was mounting them was causing crazy vibration to cook them. the Losi 2.0 is known to have that issue with the design of the radio tray and I may not have paid close enough attention when mounting and they may have been sitting against the small plastic ridge of the tray causing excessive vibration. Just never had to pay much attention before this as my other servos for a year had no issues (cheaper brand and models). I just happened to spend a bit more this time around and ran into trouble.

Need to look closely as to whether these servos are taller and somehow hitting the chassis more causing more vibration than the others did.

The other thing which changed was I was running the car on a concrete surface while all the failures occurred where as typically I run on a grass field. Maybe this caused more vibration which lead to the failures...

Additionally I for the first time used those gold colored rivets to secure the servos (in addition to the rubber grommets) and maybe this was also further causing more vibration transfer?

I'm basically pulling at every single possibility here in vibration causes!

Thanks so much for the help. Will report back with the answer if I ever figure it out...

forums.rcpitstop.com  |  In The Pits  |  Ask DR.Stupid  |  Major Servo Woes on a Losi 2.0 EU

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines Page created in 0.087 seconds with 15 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx