gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

RC Pitstop is located @ 5501 204th st Langley #125 come see us today !! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152155748145255.1073741828.208179670254&type=3

gfx gfx
gfx
95643 Posts in 10256 Topics by 1076 Members - Latest Member: slash31 September 21, 2017, 08:46:59 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
forums.rcpitstop.com  |  On The Track  |  Offroad Racing Lower Mainland  |  Building a track
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Building a track  (Read 1485 times)

Offline malibu42

• RC Newbie
    • View Profile
Building a track
« on: July 11, 2015, 02:34:41 PM »

I have a big field that's overgrown with brush and decided to make a track in it.

I happen to have access to a bobcat for free so I used that clear a big area of about 70' x 110'.

I have no idea if that's big enough but it seems ok to me as a newb.  There is plenty of more area in the field I can clear with the bobcat if needed.  I got 450' of big-o drain tube and I was able to make a track with no perimeter but I have some more big-o to finish the perimeter now, you can see in the background on the trailer there couple more rolls.

I just started workin on this track wednesday july 8th and as you can see haven't had time to put jumps in.

I had a question on the surface material.  Right now it's just the native dirt and it contains A LOT of small rocks. I've raked the track a couple times with a rock rake and it's a little better but still has too many rocks I think.  The RC kind of bounces along once you get any kind of speed going so I think I need a somewhat 'smoother' surface. What type of of material can the track be made out of that works ok?  I can get dump truck loads of "topsoil" which is apparently relatively rock free.

Any ideas at all for track building will be taken with much appreciation, chime in with your ideas please!.

Regarding lap counting systems, I see there is cheap ones and there is ones that are thousands.

Anyone know if the lower cost systems still get the job done?  I wanna order one but really have no idea which one to get.
I found these systems which seem priced ok...

http://www.trackmateracing.com/shop/en/r-c-lap-counter-transponder-system/122-rc-lap-counter.html

http://www.rclapcounter.com/page2/page2.html

Offline Tbone

• Card caryin' RC lover
    • View Profile
Re: Building a track
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 03:38:28 PM »
Looks like a good start.
I think the preferred surface is one with a lot of clay allowing it to be well packed and keep its surface consistently.

Where is this track?
Never heard of those lap counting systems before but noticed one of them is based in Surrey

Offline malibu42

• RC Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 04:22:32 PM »
I called a couple local landscape material supply places and they don't seem to carry "clay".
They have roadbase, gravel, topsoil, lawn & garden mix, sand and probably a few others i forgot, but no clay.

any idea where to get clay from locally?

Offline Inferno

• Knights who say Neet!
  • Need's a life!
  • Ack!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »
You can usually get clean clay from site prep excavations on new construction sites. Talk to a couple excavation companies to see if they are moving clay anywhere near you and chances are if they are you can get it free. If you want to be able to have ruts and throw roost while racing then get some loose loamy dirt mixed into 40% clay. Get a good dirt sifter and spend the time to sift the rocks out and you'll have a surface you can be proud of.
Team Tekin
R.C. Pitstop
Durango DEX408
Durango DESC410R
Durango DEX410R
Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, they come out with a better idiot.

Offline Tee squared

• Need's a life!
  • Redline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 09:08:13 PM »
I can vouch for the trackmate lap counting systems as I use one on my Mini-Z track and have had no problems with it. Very reliable system and the price is right. I pair it with the FlipSide Racing software and it works great!!
T2

Offline neeper

• Card caryin' RC lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »
Not sure if you've seen this... there's a Trackmate lap counter for sale in Surrey.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/tag/5102916351.html

Baja 5B SS - Futaba 4PL / Hitec
Savage X 4.6 - Futaba 4PL / Hitec
Revo 3.3
E-Revo
Emaxx

Offline malibu42

• RC Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:10:07 PM »
I had the mini excavator for 1 day yesterday before it went off to it's next job.  I dug some holes in the field for dirt to make jumps.

After I removed the top 15" of ground there was some good stuff that packs up real hard.  It could even be "clay" I'm not sure.

We removed all the big-o from the track so we could move the clay to the jumps with the bobcat.  Here is an image gallery of some random pics I took while we were workin' on it yesterday and today.

http://postimg.org/gallery/1h0n108pm/

At the end of the day we dragged all the big-o back out and ended up with a different track layout as we originally had. Still not sure how that happened, it somehow just worked out that way.  I didn't nail any of the big-o down in these pics cuz I will just be removing it all again soon as I'm hoping to get the mini back and dig as much clay out of the ground as I can and hopefully cover the whole area with 3" possibly. It packs up like rock once you water it and doesn't seem to be as dusty as the regular ground. 

For a place to stand while driving, I pushed a lot of the debris, from when I cleared the field, into a large pile and dumped dirt on top of that.  It works ok for now but I plan on putting some type of framed deck surface up there or something... that will come later once the track is closer to being done.

This is a short video of a newb (me) driving around the track. I've only had my RC for 2 weeks so I am slow.  Just trying to stay on the track itself is hard for me still.  All of the lanes are 10' wide and the front straight is 12'. 

If anyone was interested in coming to help out once we get some large piles of clay dug out of the ground with the mini excavator (hopefully by the weekend), you'd have yourself a private track to come race on anytime you like... only rules I'd ever have are no nitro rc's (I've heard they are very loud) and no leaving garbage around, that's about it.

I'll keep updating as I get time to work on it.
Thanx for looking.

Offline malibu42

• RC Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 11:22:28 PM »
Not sure if you've seen this... there's a Trackmate lap counter for sale in Surrey.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/tag/5102916351.html

I called the ad and it happens to be the owner of Trackmate.  I ended up getting a system from him to cover 10' of track and 5 transponders.  Gonna try it out tomorrow and see how it works.

I gotta build the bridge and figure out the software first though...

Offline Inferno

• Knights who say Neet!
  • Need's a life!
  • Ack!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »
Looking at the video you have it looks like a great start. I can't tell exactly your dimensions but it looks like a 1/10 track. If you wish to hold races with friends and such I would suggest making all lanes a minimum 10' wide and try to get 12' lanes if possible especially at the furthest point from the drivers. With it being a new start tho It looks great. Where is this located?
Team Tekin
R.C. Pitstop
Durango DEX408
Durango DESC410R
Durango DEX410R
Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, they come out with a better idiot.

Offline malibu42

• RC Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »
Looking at the video you have it looks like a great start. I can't tell exactly your dimensions but it looks like a 1/10 track. If you wish to hold races with friends and such I would suggest making all lanes a minimum 10' wide and try to get 12' lanes if possible especially at the furthest point from the drivers. With it being a new start tho It looks great. Where is this located?

All the lanes are 10' wide except the long straightaway which is 12'.  only problem is I have the drivers stand on the side where it's 12' wide.  I'll look into making a drivers stand on the other side of the track and see how that works out.  not sure if I left enough room over there.

Here is the timing system parts I got from trackmate in surrey...

There is also 5 transponders and a CD with software not pictured.

I made a stand out of some cedar boards I had.

And attached all the sensors to the underside with some small screws.

I have a macbook so I downloaded some free software for mac and everything worked right away.  So far I have only tried a 5 lap race and it all seemed to work well.  It reports your laptimes and also says something extra is there is a leader change or you get your best lap.

I'll try and get a video up later of it working, right now we have the sprinklers going trying to water it down a bit...

Offline malibu42

• RC Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »

track is located in south surrey near 176 street & 20 ave area.

Offline malibu42

• RC Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 09:23:35 PM »
After testing the hardware in the garage by just passing the trucks under the finish line stand, it was time to actually drag everything out to the track to test it out.

My friend got me an adapter to hook my laptop up to an old boombox from the garage and we used that for speakers.

Here is a video of my brother and his friend trying the track out.  They are both newbs like me but the timing system worked all perfectly.

The big-o is all still loose because the excavator should be back friday and we plan on moving a bunch more clay to the surface.  Pulling those 12" nails out of the ground is hard work.

Offline Inferno

• Knights who say Neet!
  • Need's a life!
  • Ack!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 12:57:52 PM »
You're fairly close to me where I live. I would love to come see it in person sometime.
Team Tekin
R.C. Pitstop
Durango DEX408
Durango DESC410R
Durango DEX410R

Offline malibu42

• RC Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 07:55:48 PM »
I got the mini excavator back a couple days ago.  I removed all the big-o from the surface to cover the area with clay.
I dug a good 30 tons of clay from the ground, which only covered the majority of the surface with about 3" of material average.

Of course murphy's law hit and the skid steer sprung a leak in the hydraulic system before I was able to get all of the clay spread out so I was working on fixing that most of today. I found the problem and it looks like it's just an o-ring that failed so that's the good news.

Tomorrow I plan on going to the John Deere dealer in port kells to get the o-ring, fix the skid steer, and continue working on the track.

Anybody is welcome to come by, text me @ seven78ight-78ight8ight-fourseven4six and I'll give the address.

Currently right now though...it's just a clay field that needs a bunch of work.  Once I get the clay spread well and the track/big-o all re-layed out, I will post new pics.

forums.rcpitstop.com  |  On The Track  |  Offroad Racing Lower Mainland  |  Building a track

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines Page created in 0.064 seconds with 13 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx