gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

For Forum sign up please send me your info, like user name with one alternate in case it's taken. Email adress, and I'll sign you up till we get the bugs out with the spammers. wes@rcpitstop.com

gfx gfx
gfx
94097 Posts in 9629 Topics by 1057 Members - Latest Member: cv__ October 22, 2014, 12:57:38 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
forums.rcpitstop.com  |  In The Pits  |  On the slide  |  mounting hpi drift tires
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mounting hpi drift tires  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Sharkey

• postaholic
    • View Profile
mounting hpi drift tires
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
how the hell are you supposed to get these things on the rims? picked up a set today and ive tried everything i could think of. had the tires soaking in boiling hot water, lubing the beads, i just cant seem to get anything to work. i managed to get 2 of them on, but not without removing all the chrome off one wheel. seems everytime i pull the tire out of the water it cools far to quick and i cant get the tire on in time.

anyone have any tricks for this?

Offline BrokenHalo83

• RC Nutz
    • View Profile
Re: mounting hpi drift tires
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:33:49 PM »
Hair dryer. Should be directions on back of tire package. Just be careful not to get them too hot or you could warp them

Offline Dribble

• Posts more than can be believed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:51:20 AM »
I have never had luck with the hair dryer method but always with the boiling water way. I boil a pot of water, while its boiling put a tire in for 15 sec or so take it out and quickly onto the tire and no problem.
Axial Wraith
SCX10 Dually
XR10

Offline JoshLamont

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »
+1 on dribbles way
Axial Wraith
Losi SCTE
Mini 8ight
Traxxas 1/16 Rally VXL
Losi Micro Rally
Helimax 1SQ
Brushless Jetboat
Traxxas Emaxx Brushless

Offline Sharkey

• postaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »
guess ill just have to try getting them hotter.

Offline BrokenHalo83

• RC Nutz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »
I agree with you dribble. The hair dryer way is a pain . Never tried the boil water method. I'll have to give it a try

Offline Dribble

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
ya all I do is boil a pot of water, once at boil I put a tire in for about 15-20 sec should work, you can try 30 sec but do not go over and should not need to then  i take it out and quickly put it on and VIOLA repeat. It's just a matter of getting the technique down, not much really to it but I found this to be the easiest way to do it. WARNING HOT! lol If I had a set that needed to be mounted I would do a video of it showing and explaining for you guys. There is lots of video's on youtube though many different ways as well but I found this the easiest way for me at least.
Axial Wraith
SCX10 Dually
XR10

Offline Sharkey

• postaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
managed to get them all mounted last night. boiled 2l of water with the electric kettle and poured it into a ceramic bowl. let the tires sit in it for a couple minutes and popped them on. they still were a fight, but at least they went on. i cant say im looking forward to having to mount another set, hope i can find premounted ones next time.

Offline Dribble

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
managed to get them all mounted last night. boiled 2l of water with the electric kettle and poured it into a ceramic bowl. let the tires sit in it for a couple minutes and popped them on. they still were a fight, but at least they went on. i cant say im looking forward to having to mount another set, hope i can find premounted ones next time.

Boil a pot of water on the stove and once at boil leave it on and drop a tire in for like 20 sec or so and POP the tire will go on easier this way and repeat. This is how I do it and goes on quick and easy this way. Try this next time instead of boiling water in a kettle and pouring it into a bowl.
Axial Wraith
SCX10 Dually
XR10

Offline devastator

• Card caryin' RC lover
  • Quack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 01:37:26 AM »
Also Hpi rims are softer and easy to mount up. Use Hpi.rims
Back in the game.

Scx10 Jk Kit build. WIP.

Offline matt

• postaholic
  • Armature Alley Scale RC Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 01:59:04 AM »
I agree.  Or buy my tires as they slide right on no sweat.  The ones I manufacture.  Last twice as long, cost half the price.  Look super great too.
Traxxas DTS-1 Drag Timing System
TC4 Drag Car one fwd and one rwd
scx 10 scaler
rwd cup racer
4wd cup racer
Losi Drift R (R is for Rally)
Silverlit Ducati

Offline devastator

• Card caryin' RC lover
  • Quack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 06:06:44 AM »
Got some pics matt??
Back in the game.

Scx10 Jk Kit build. WIP.

Offline NFG

• Need's a life!
  • Losi Diehard Fanatic....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 03:22:51 PM »
Same for me. I want to see what they look like. I may be interested......
Stefan M

LMRCC NOVICE COMP CRAWLER 2012 OVERALL CHAMPION. (HA HA! I showed up. So what if I suck! Winning!)

-Losi MOA BJ3 Chassis. On the back burner....
-Losi Comp Crawler
-Losi Mini SCT x2
-Team Associated TC3 (x3)
-Losi XXXS

Offline NFG

• Need's a life!
  • Losi Diehard Fanatic....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 08:43:05 AM »
Hear that if you freeze the rim and boil the tires it works easier. I will be doing this soon enough. I have a set of tires I need some rims for. They are "carpet" drift tires. Look like delrin. That hard nylon type plastic. I also need another set of T Drifts as mine are getting mighty thin.... I figure I might as well get a few sets up and running. Experimenting with compounds to see if there is a big difference in how they hook up and slide.
Stefan M

LMRCC NOVICE COMP CRAWLER 2012 OVERALL CHAMPION. (HA HA! I showed up. So what if I suck! Winning!)

-Losi MOA BJ3 Chassis. On the back burner....
-Losi Comp Crawler
-Losi Mini SCT x2
-Team Associated TC3 (x3)
-Losi XXXS

Offline Firestorm-VXL

• Card caryin' RC lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
Hear that if you freeze the rim and boil the tires it works easier. I will be doing this soon enough. I have a set of tires I need some rims for. They are "carpet" drift tires. Look like delrin. That hard nylon type plastic. I also need another set of T Drifts as mine are getting mighty thin.... I figure I might as well get a few sets up and running. Experimenting with compounds to see if there is a big difference in how they hook up and slide.

Dont forget to let us know what you find
Axial scx-10: Emaxx 2spd tranny, dual 12t Titan, Dual XL5
Sakura D3: Castle Sv2, Castle 5700kv brushless
Losi Micro Truggy (stock) <--Daughters
Tamiya TA05 XL5, Silver Can
Tamiya TT01 Xl5 12T Titan
Tamia CC01 AE-1, Turnigy 55t <--Sons
Random Boat Mono with Graupner O/b Proboat 60a 1800kv brushless

forums.rcpitstop.com  |  In The Pits  |  On the slide  |  mounting hpi drift tires

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.7 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines Page created in 0.223 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx